distributed p2p off-the-record two-party chat
npm install otrtalk
|27||downloads in the last week|
|28||downloads in the last month|
|Version||0.1.19 last updated 4 months ago|
|Keywords||p2p, messaging, chat, privacy, encrypted, otr, telehash, freedom|
|Dependencies (6)||async, get-telehash, otr4-em, ansi, keypress, cli-table|
p2p off-the-record chat for nodejs
Install otrtalk with NPM
npm -g install otrtalk
Read the Tutorial to get started.
How it works
otrtalk is built the using TEO network stack
- T|eleHash: a real-time and fully distributed p2p application/services discovery protocol.
- E|Net: robust network communication layer on top of UDP.
- O|TR: off-the-record messaging (encryption, authentication, deniability,forward secrecy)
Using the TeleHash protocol we locate a peer which is also actively trying to connect to us. TeleHash attempts to traverse NATs, opening a path to our peer. A reliable UDP connection is then established using the ENet protocol. An OTR conversation is then started to securely exchanged messages.
otrtalk currently only supports synchronous two-party messaging, (both parties must be online at the same time to exchange messages).
Privacy & Security
- otrtalk does NOT anonymise your connection with the remote party in any way.
- otrtalk uses the OTR protocol to offer encryption/authentication and forward secrecy.
- messages are exchanged directly between the peers and are not relayed through any servers. (end to end encryption)
otrtalk has a builtin mechanism to traverse NATs without the use of STUN servers. No support is yet available for TURN servers which would be required if at least one user is behind a restrictive NAT (symmetric NAT)